home news

HAB Monitoring in California

station map


Site Map



What can I do?

Many oganizations throughout California regularly monitor water conditions for HABs and red tides,
as well as conduct ongoing research to better predict and forecast their occurance. The following resources are available to learn more about HABs, report HAB conditions, or report marine mammal
and seabird strandings.

For information about HABs and shellfish safety:
California Department of Public Health, Shellfish Information Line: 800-553-4133
CDPH Preharvest Shellfish Protection and Marine Biotoxin Monitoring Program
Ca.gov My Water Quality portal

To report a red tide or other unusual marine sighting:

To report a marine mammal stranding:
California Academy of Sciences
- dead strandings in the San Francisco Bay area only
Pacific Marine Mammal Center
- Orange County
Long Marine laboratory
- dead strandings in Santa Cruz County only
Marine Mammal Care Center at Fort MacArthur
- Los Angeles County
Monterey Bay Aquarium
- sea otters only
Northcoast Marine Mammal Center
- Humboldt and Del Norte Counties
Sea World San Deigo
- San Diego County
Marine Mammal Center -
for more information

To report a seabird stranding:
Monterey County SPCA Humane Wildlife Services - live strandings in Monterey County
Native Animal Rescue - live strandings in Santa Cruz County

Want to support HAB legislation?